Friday, July 29, 2011

Learning process

I have been knee deep in orders and murrini this month so I haven't had a lot of time to play at the torch lately.  I visited my friend Alex yesterday, though, and what a refreshing break that was!  It was great to sit and chat with a friend all day long.  No making beads, no packing or shipping, just visiting.  Well, she's a beadmaker too so we did talk about beadmaking.  She shared her technique with me for making the most gorgeous beads.  I couldn't wait to try it...
Hers are way better but I was pretty pleased with my first attempt.  Before you get too impressed with mine - go check out her gorgeous beads at eBay and in her Etsy store.

The other bit of learning I did a couple nights ago when I was reading through the latest issue of Soda Lime Times which is all about frit.  I was reading, in particular, an article by Val Cox entitled, "Why your frit beads may suck." or something like that.  How did she know?  LOL.  She is an expert on frit, that's how.  I would say that I instantly improved my frit beads after reading that article.  I mixed up some frit and tried out Val's suggestions.


That's what I like about glass.  The more years you work with it, the more you realize there is still so much to learn.  It is simultaneously humbling and encouraging.  I'm feeling pretty lucky to have such a fun profession and such talented friends to share ideas with.  Very lucky, indeed.

No comments: